DR. T. S. KLER
MD DM F.R.C.P. (U.K.) FACC (USA), D.Sc (Honoris Causa)
CHAIRMAN - PSRI HEART INSTITUTE.
Dr. Kler is a Chairman in the department of cardiology at Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute and has been responsible for developing angiography & angioplasty programme with focus on Non Surgical Treatment of heart diseases. He performs approximately 2500 cardiac diagnostic angiographies, around 400 angioplasties including stenting / Atherectomy / rotablation every year. Dr. Kler is highly active in primary PTCA in acute myocardial infarction cases since 1995. Apart from performing these highly advanced procedures himself, he also has the responsibility to train fellows in interventional cardiology & cardiac electrophysiology.
In addition, Dr. Kler was a Director of Cardiac Arrhythmia Services at Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi since its inception in 1991. The department offered all advanced treatment modalities for cardiac arrhythmias including Radiofrequency Ablation, Pacemaker Implantation, Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Implantation, Device Therapy for Heart Failure & Combo Device Implantation. The department of electrophysiology has CARTO system for mapping of difficult arrhythmias.
Dr. Kler was the Director of Escorts Heart & Super Speciality Institute, Amritsar, which is a state of art 170 beded facility. The hospital was commissioned in Janaury 2003 and provides the complete range of cardiac investigations & treatment facilities as are available at Escorts Heart Institue, Delhi.
- F.R.C.P. Fellow of Royal College of Physicians Edinburg (U.K.).
- F.A.C.C., April 2003 Fellow of American College of Cardiology
- Sr. Fellowship in Electrophysiology & Pacing March 1993 to September 1993, St. Lukes Medical Centre & Sinai Samaritan Hospital, Milwaukee, University of Wisconsin (USA)
- M.R.C.P. (U.K.), July, 1989. Royal College of Physicians, Edinburg (U.K.).
- D.M. (Cardiology), June 1983. Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh.
- M.D. (Gen Medicine), December 1979 Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh.
- M.B.B.S., December, 1975. Govt. Medical College, Patiala.
- ACADEMIC PROFILE
- TEACHING & TRAINING EXPERIENCE
- 2017 TO till date : As a chairman (Dept of Cariology) at Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute
- 1992 TO 2017 : As a Consultant to DNB candidates at Escorts Heart Institute & Research center, Okhla Road, New Delhi. Responsibilities include undertaking theory lectures and clinical teaching in Interventional cardiology & cardiac electrophysiology. Many candidates have already achieved DNB degree under his guidance.
- 1984-1992 : Sr. Consultant Cardiologist & Chief of Cardiothoracic Medicine at King Fahad Central Hospital, Gizan, kingdom of Saudi Arabia. This hospital is a tertiary care hospital for South Western region of Saudi Arabia. His responsibilities included teaching Post Graduate & under graduate students in medicine, cardiology & cardiothoracic department. The hospital was recognized for MRCP & FRCS (U.K.) examinations in medicine & surgery.
- Professional Association
- Founder President of Heart Rhythm Society of India (HRS)
- Life Member of North American Society of Pacing & Electrophysiology (NASPE)
- Life Fellow of American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Fellow Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom (FRCP)
- Vice President of Indian College of Cardiology (ICC)
- Life Member of Cardiological Society of India (CSI)
- Life Member of Association Physicians of India (API)
- Life Member of Indian Medical Association. (IMA)
- Life Member of Delhi Medical Association (DMA)
Dr. Kler completed his primary education from village of Amargarh & Kakralan Kalan in district Ludhiana of Punjab. He then completed his medical education as a merit scholar from Govt. College Patiala in 1976. Thereafter he was selected on the basis of National Competition to PGI Chandigarh, where he completed his MD in Medicine in 1979 & then DM in cardiology in 1983. Dr. Kler then worked in Saudi Arabia where he instituted the Department of Cardiology at a tertiary care centre in Gizan, South Western Region of Saudi Arabia.
He then proceeded on to United Kingdom to do his MRCP & was one of the very few to successfully get this degree in the first attempt. He was offered a three years Senior Registrar job at North Wick Park Hospital, London, but due to earnest desire to be back in India, he came back to join Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi in November 1989. Dr. Kler, in 1993 was offered a senior fellowship Programme at Sinai Samaritan Hospital & St. Lukes Medical Centre, Milwaukee (USA), University of Wisconsin. This expanded his area of expertise to handle complicated cardiac rhythm problems, which was till then not available in the country.
Over the last 15 years Dr.Kler has personally trained more then 100 cardiologists in India to perform advanced techniques of angiography & angioplasty. Dr. Kler has trained many doctors in cardiac electrophysiology from various countries like Bangladesh, Malaysia, Australia & Srilanka, including WHO sponsored doctors from these countries. Dr. Kler is a regular teacher for Post Doctoral (DNB) courses in cardiology & many of the fellows have obtained their degree under his guidance.